Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

Are you playing the game?

Recently I was challenged with a free/cheap and easy way to do game based PD (Professional Development). 

There are many ways online to do game based PD, but I wanted to create something offline.  My reasons for that are three fold:
1.  Our internet is horribly slow around here.
2.  A majority of my teachers still like paper.  
3.  I didn't want multiple logins for my teachers as they are sick of remembering logins.
4.  It needed to be cheap....free, really.

With those things in mind, I started with a pdf gameboard that could be linkable and a list of rules.  So, while the whole game playing experience isn't online as many tend to be, some of it is.  The links, separated out by "levels" take the learner to various tutorials on how to create a slideshow in Picasa.  As the participants work through the levels, they can earn points and badges.  The badges are placed on their playing card, which I have asked everyone to place on their doors.  

This was a very basic option just to see what kind of interest I could get.  I can see this being a bigger project next year and quite possibly a way to keep track of CEU's and workshops throughout the year.  My mind is now rumbling with all sorts of fun ways to add to this and make tech workshops more fun for everyone!  

In Stanly County Schools and want to participate?  Email me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment